Friday, May 24, 2013

5 Common Mistakes for Portuguese Speakers

Naturally, when we try to speak in a foreign language we translate directly and literally from our own, but sometimes translating does not work, as in the following examples.

1. congress/conference

  • I'm going to an international congress conference about physical therapy this weekend.
Note: Congress is the governing body in the United States consisting of the Senate and the House of Representatives.

2. all the people/everybody

  • I think all the people go everybody goes on vacation in August in Europe.
Note: We use "all the people" when it is more specific or qualified, such as "all the people who registered for the test" or "all the people who I invited to the party"...

3. toes/fingers

  • My feet were so cold after snowboarding all day that I could hardly move my fingers toes.
Note: The word "toes" does not exist in Portuguese; fingers is used instead.

4.  to have/be ______ years old

  • When I had was 10 years old, I visited Finland with my family.

5. to like something

  • I like very much going to the beach very much.
  • She likes more shopping downtown more than going to the mall.
Note: These are syntax (word order) errors.

2 comments:

  1. These are great! I lived in Portugal briefly and wanted to share a few more that I would like to help my friends with :)

    Common errors of Portuguese English:

    “Assist” instead of “attend.”
    To assist, is only a more formal way to say to help.
    Correct examples:
    Will you attend the seminar? I will not attend the course.
    May I assist you with your work? Thank you for your assistance.

    “Tissue” instead of “fabric” or “cloth.”
    Tissue means only flesh/skin (i.e. muscle) or thin, soft paper (i.e. lenço)

    “Coffee” instead of “café.”
    English speakers use “café” to mean a place where you can get a coffee and maybe a sandwich or snack.
    We drink “coffee” at a “café” (or a coffee shop ☺)

    Yet/still
    Correct: "I am still working" "Are you still working?"

    Written error: use of “pretend” instead of “portend”
    "Pretend" is only when one is using their imagination, or making something up.
    I have heard that "intend" is also sometimes mixed up with "pretend".

    Mixing up “anybody” and “nobody” – using “anybody” instead of “nobody”
    Correct usage:
    "Is anybody going to the park?" "No, nobody is going to the park."
    "Nobody wants to miss afternoon coffee" (Meaning, everybody wants coffee!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks for contributing material. Great examples! :)

      Delete

Featured Post

When do I use HAVE and HAS?

"Have" and "has" are both present tense conjugations of the verb "to have," and we use "have" or &q...